STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Community Builders Network of Metro St. Louis (CBN) is an association of nonprofit community building organizations (CBOs) and associate members comprised of lenders, philanthropy, nonprofits, and government actors. CBOs are mission-driven organizations that utilize a place-based approach to grow strong, vibrant neighborhoods in the St. Louis region by providing housing and economic opportunity for everyone. As a network, our purpose is to help each other fulfill our individual missions more effectively and to promote our collective work as a vital, contributing sector of the St. Louis economy. Our members are committed to upholding exemplary standards of integrity, accountability and sound business management. Community Building Nonprofit membership is open to CBOs that accept and uphold this pledge.
These are the values that drive the Community Builders Network. They guide what we do and why we do it.
- Community Engagement: CBN members believe in engaging residents in respectful dialogue to empower them to create the kind of communities they want and in being as transparent as possible in their dealings with community
- Collaboration: CBN members believe in working together both within communities and across the region to build great neighborhoods
- Fiscal Responsibility: CBN members believe in being good stewards of the resources they control for the benefit of the entire community
- Sustainability: CBN members believe in meeting the needs of the present generation in ways that do not compromise future generations’ ability to meet their needs – economically, socially, and environmentally.
- Inclusion: CBN members believe in not discriminating against any group and striving to include everyone in building great neighborhoods regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and age.
- Integrity in Decision Making: CBN members believe in striving to make decisions based on the highest professional principles and what is best for the community not on the basis of personal or political gain.
- Data-Driven Decision Making: CBN members believe in using evidence-based decision making to develop programs and hold themselves accountable for program outcomes using the best available data and metrics.
- Advocacy: CBN members recognize a responsibility to advocate for policies by governments, foundations, nonprofit organizations, and corporations that create a stronger community development sector in the St. Louis region.
OUR OPERATING PRINCIPLES
Based on our values, the members of the Community Builders Network pledge to adhere to these operating principles:
- Share our individual successes, failures, and lessons learned with CBN members in a spirit of mutual learning.
- Publicly state the mission and the service area of the organization on a website or other easily available outlet.
- Comply faithfully with the requirements of all funders; submit required reports in a timely and accurate manner and respond promptly to all requests for information.
- Form long term mutual learning relationships with all funders including foundations, corporations, banks, and government.
- Compile and communicate the impact of our work through outcome measurement as well as compelling storytelling.
- Follow accepted accounting practices and procedures to ensure financial integrity and regularly publish audits or financial reports.
- Listen to the voices of the community, not only through our Board of Directors, but also by reaching out to different parts of the community through various means, such as community meetings, surveys, and one-on-one interviews.
- Work to achieve and maintain as diversified a base of funding as possible for your CDC.
- Devote resources of the organization to advocate for better community development policies through activities such as signing letters of support, mobilizing members of the community, or developing policy advocacy documents.
This Membership Pledge of the Community Builders Network of Metro St. Louis was approved by the Board of Directors of the following organizations:
Community Action Agency
Community Renewal & Development Inc
DeSales Community Housing Corporation
Dutchtown South Community Corporation
Emerson Park Development Corporation
Grand Oak Hill Community Corporation
Greater Ville Neighborhood Preservation Association
Habitat for Humanity St. Louis
Hamilton Heights Neighborhood Organization
Lemay Development Corporation
CBNMembersPledge_12_15_14Lemay Housing Partnership, Inc.
Lutheran Housing Support
North Grand Neighborhood Services
North Newstead Association
Northside Community Housing Inc.
Old North St. Louis Restoration Group
Riverview West Florissant Development Corporation
Saint Charles County Housing Corporation
Saint Vincent Greenway, Inc.
Saint Louis Association of Community Organizations
Shaw Neighborhood Housing Corporation
Skinker DeBaliviere Community Council
The Gateway Housing Foundation